This article teaches you how to avoid damaging your laptop immediately after spilling liquid on it. Please note that while the following information is the best way to handle a spill yourself, there is no guarantee that your laptop will be stored safely; Similarly, seeking professional help is a much better solution.
- Unplug the laptop and turn it off.
- Take the laptop out of the liquid.
- Turn the laptop over and remove the battery.
- Disconnect external equipment.
- Open the laptop and place it on a towel.
- Clean up any remaining liquid.
- Remove as much material as you can.
- Dry the internal components and remove any residue.
- Let dry for at least 24 hours before turning it on.
1. Turn off the laptop and disconnect it from its power source immediately –
To do so, simply press and hold the power button on the laptop. If the liquid touches the laptop circuits while they are active, it will most likely shorten, so timing is very important.
To disconnect the laptop from a power source, simply remove the charging cable from the laptop. It is usually located on the left or right side of the laptop.
2. Remove the laptop from the residual liquid –
This will minimize your laptop’s exposure to more liquid and decrease the risk of electric shock.
3. Turn the laptop over and, if possible, remove the battery.
You can usually do this by flipping your laptop over, sliding a panel from the bottom of the laptop, and gently pulling on the battery.
This step is not possible on a MacBook without first unscrewing the bottom of the laptop from the rest of the case.
4. Unplug all external hardware –
This includes the following items:
- USB devices (flash drives, wireless adapters, chargers, etc.)
- Memory cards
- Drivers (for example, your mouse)
- The laptop charger
5. Lay a towel on a flat surface –
Here, you will be setting up your laptop for the next few days, so choose a warm, dry, and inconspicuous area.
6. Open your laptop as much as possible and put it in the briefcase –
Depending on the flexibility of your laptop, everything from a laptop under the tent to a completely flat laptop will be possible. To speed up the drying process of the liquid, you can get a quick fix of the liquid to help.
7. Clean all visible liquids –
To clean are the front and back of the screen, the laptop case and the keyboard.
Make sure your laptop is always with you while you do this.
8. Ground yourself before touching your computer’s internal components –
Grounding removes static electricity from your clothing or body. Static electricity can easily destroy the circuit, so it is important to perform this step before touching the RAM card or hard drive.
9. Remove as much material as possible –
If you are unfamiliar with removing RAM, your computer’s hard drive, and other removable internal components, you should take your laptop to a professional repair service.
You cannot find anything else for your specific material. Just find your computer’s factory and model number followed by “RAM Removal” (or the component you want to remove).
For a MacBook, you are one of the most successful builders in the world.
10. Dry all wet internal components –
To do this, you will need a microfiber cloth (or another lint-free cloth).
If there is too much water in your laptop, you need to empty it first. Be extremely sweet.
11. Remove Dry Debris –
Use a lint-free cloth to carefully remove all non-water stains, chips, and other non-liquid residue.
12. Let your laptop dry –
You will want to leave it alone for at least a day.
Remember to store your laptop in a dry and warm place. For example, a dehumidifier can improve drying time.
Never use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process of your laptop because the heat concentration of a hair dryer is strong enough to damage the internal parts of your laptop.
13. Reassemble the laptop and turn it on.
If it does not start, or if you notice distortion in the sound or screen, you should entrust your laptop to a professional laptop repair service (for example, a Best Buy service center).
14. Remove all debris if necessary –
Even if your laptop is running, you may have to deal with a sticky or oily substance. You can remove this residue by gently rubbing the affected area with a damp, lint-free cloth, as you did when the laptop was drying.