When you think of the perfect gift for someone you really love, diamonds are very often what comes to mind. The recipient’s entire face lights up when he opens that gift and sees a diamond staring at him. Let’s not forget that kneeling and presenting a diamond to your loved one is a sure sign that you want to dedicate the rest of your life to that person.
Let’s look at 5 reasons why we all love what diamonds have to offer:
1. Diamonds keep their value – Not only do diamonds hold their value, they may even be worth more with each passing year. Diamonds are sturdy stones that are very difficult to damage, so there is little chance that you can damage them. Regardless of the type of diamond you buy, you can be sure that you have made a smart investment.
2. Diamonds are beautiful, but they also work hard. We tend to think of diamonds as something we put into jewelry, but the fact is, they are also great tools. As we already mentioned, diamonds are hard and, in fact, they are the hardest mineral substance in existence. That is why they are used for tools such as saws and bits. The best surgeons in the world are known to use diamond-edged scalpels. These stunning gemstones are also considered a spiritual aid, and many cultures believe that diamonds can keep evil spirits at bay.
3. Diamonds never go out of style – Diamonds became THE gift for that special lady in your life the moment Archduke Maximillian presented his first diamond engagement ring to his future wife. Once only worn by kings, diamonds are now the perfect gift for the queen in your life and are also the decoration of choice for some of the most famous and iconic women in the world. Diamonds come in an impressive variety of cuts and colors, making it possible to find the perfect gemstone for all tastes.
4. Diamonds are forever – Diamonds are known to be indestructible, so perhaps the name of these beautiful gemstones was taken from the Greek word “adamas”, which translates to indestructible and invincible. Diamonds are forever and are now routinely given out on the 10th and 60th wedding anniversary. Men often get a bad rap for being somewhat unromantic, but the moment they propose to their girlfriends with a big shiny diamond, they make it clear that they want to spend “forever” with their lady. What could be more romantic than that?
5. Diamonds are a rare gift. While other stones are made from a variety of different elements, diamonds are forged from carbon atoms and take millions of years to manufacture. These rare stones are buried deep underground, with approximately 250 tons of earth moved to find only one carat of diamonds. About a quarter of the diamonds found are used to make jewelry, and only about one in a thousand will weigh more than one carat. It is now possible to get man-made diamonds, but it is those rare gems that come in a variety of different colors that are the real finds.
You don’t really need a reason to buy a diamond, but we think the 5 we’ve listed above should sway anyone who’s still on the fence. Diamonds are perhaps Mother Nature’s most amazing creation, especially considering how long it takes to make something so impressive. It really is no wonder that we are all so captivated by the brilliance of a diamond.